Over the years while writing this blog the responses, for the most part, have dealt with the subject matter of that particular week. Having said that, by far, the number one comment from all readers has been how much they have enjoyed either hearing about the past or remembering the past.
In an effort to emphasis the weekly topic, I try to link it to something that occurred in the beer industry in the past. The week of Thanksgiving is a time to remember our family and friends, so it might be appropriate this year to create a remembrance of our beer industry. You might be an old timer if you can remember the following;
* Press tab one and press tab two
* Wholesalers had one brewery, maybe two brands and less than 10 SKUs
* Exclusive draft accounts
* PTR for a case of beer was $3.90
* PTR for a half barrel of Bud/Coors/Schlitz was less than $20.00
* Three quarts of Old Milwaukee for $1.00
* Two bay delivery trucks
* Corona in a brown bottle
* Price promotions were .25 off a case
* Church keys to open bottles and can openers to open cans
* Carta Blanca was the #1 selling Mexican beer
* The Moose is loose!
* Annual price increases were .10 a case
* There were no 12 packs, only six packs
* Pick a pair of six packs!
* You only go around once in life!
* Great taste – Less filing!
* From the land of sky blue waters!
* Dizzy Dean
* Ed McMahon
* Fusil Oil
* Budweiser Light – Bud Malt Liquor
* The Bull
Obviously, I could go on and I have left out a number of remember-when lines, however, feel free to send the one(s) that you remember. Make sure they are pre-2000 and I will add them to the list during the week.
To all, have a great Thanksgiving! We do not remember days, we remember moments!
Editors notes; Readers comments – Steel cans, Erlanger, Johnson Jet tap rods, Miller Kings, Miller pony’s, Coors Golden, Champagne of Bottled Beers, America’s Fine Light Beer, and You only go around once in Life!